Accommodations for Tenants with Disabilities

Some tenants have disabilities that require what is called an accommodation. One example of an accommodation is an apartment that does not allow pets allowing an emotional support animal. Under the Iowa Code, a tenant who has disabilities is entitled to certain accommodations in housing. Iowa Code section 216.8A requires landlords to provide reasonable accommodations if they are necessary to the tenant’s equal use and enjoyment of the rental property.Information icon

The Fair Housing Act and other federal laws also require reasonable accommodations. You can find more information about these requirements under federal law at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s page on Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications.

Additionally, your landlord cannot prevent you from having a service animal that qualifies under the Americans with Disabilities Act, or an assistance animal that qualifies under the Fair Housing Act or the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Iowa Code section 216.8B.

If you believe you are entitled to accommodations that your landlord refuses to make, you can file a complaint with or contact the Iowa Civil Rights Commission.

You may also wish to file a complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development. They can be reached at 1-800-669-9777 or you can visit their website to read about your options for filing a complaint.

For more information on accommodations, visit Iowa Legal Aid’s page Housing Rights of Persons with Disabilities.